Monday, June 29, 2009

Eating out

I was just reading a co-workers blog (you'll find her link on the side over there, Lissa's Journey - go check it out; she's got some pretty insightful posts up) and her latest is about socializing and eating - how it's all intertwined, and she's right. And she's got some great alternatives up there (things to do in lieu of eating out), but there are times you've just got to (Father's Day, for example. My folks wanna eat - no walking around the lake for them; hell - my dad drives to the mailbox - it's like a short block away from their house; totally walkable - he cracks me up).

When I first contemplated having this surgery, I imagined that I'd never, ever enjoy eating out again, but I've found that there's always something on pretty much all menus that will not only satisfy my hunger, but that I will enjoy, as well. And I really thought that would never happen.

Last week, I had lunch with a co-worker; we went to a local bbq joint. It just smells so heavenly in there. My original plan was to just have the chili, but after the aroma, I knew I just had to have something meaty. But all the dishes were so huge! I told the waitress about my WLS and asked if I could order off the Buckaroo (kiddie) menu and she said sure, so I ordered the bbq baby-back ribs.

I thought I had died and gone to food heaven. I was able to eat a whole rib, and man, did that taste wonderful. Very flavorful. Didn't even need any Papaya pills. And surprisingly, the order was still huge - four ribs but very meaty, along with a coleslaw side. My friend was surpried, too - she said my meal would've been enough for her. And the best part - it was only $6 (and I took the remaining 3 ribs and brought them to Special K, who loved them, too).

Serving portions have gotten pretty ridiculous at most eateries (don't even get me started on Claim Jumpers, which I haven't been to in over a year and don't plan to anytime soon - their portions are monsterous!) Folks just have to realize it doesn't take all that much food to fill one up. But that's a whole 'nother subject.

Good to be able to eat pork again - I have missed it so!

No comments:

Post a Comment